Carbon Monoxide Detection

Carbon monoxide (CO) is released when wood, gasoline, oil, kerosene, natural gas, and charcoal burn inefficiently. At moderate levels, CO can cause severe headaches, dizziness, impaired mental function, nausea, and shortness of breath. At high levels it can cause unconsciousness and death.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), an estimated 1,000 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning and thousands end up in emergency rooms. Because CO is odorless and colorless, and symptoms can look like common illnesses, the effects may not be recognized until it is too late.

Let us help you. Have a AirAdvice for Homes™ indoor air quality test done today in your home – it’s simple, easy, and is typically offered at low or no cost to you, the homeowner.

AirAdvice indoor air quality tips:

  • Have central air handling systems, including furnaces, flues, and chimneys, inspected and repaired annually. Even new furnaces are susceptible to damage and require regular maintenance.
  • Keep gas appliances, heaters, fireplaces, wood burning stoves, barbecues in good working order and ventilate them outside the home.
  • Make sure wood burning stove doors fit tightly. Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
  • Don’t idle cars inside an attached garage and prevent car exhaust from entering the home.
  • Install a CO detector on each floor of the home. Choose a model that can measure low levels of CO.

To find an IAQ expert in your area, click on the Find an Expert button at the top of this page.  They will be able to determine if carbon monoxide is present in your home. They can also ensure that your heating system and gas appliances are in good working order and are vented properly.