Mold in the home is a microscopic fungus that produces tiny spores to reproduce. These spores float through the air continually, and can trigger allergy and asthma symptoms. When mold spores land on wet areas indoors, they begin to grow, and to release more mold spores, and this is how mold in the home propagates.

Any warm, damp areas can attract mold growth. Common areas in your home are bathrooms, showers, drains, basements, cellars, towels, washcloths, closets and attics.

People who suffer from allergies, asthma, or other respiratory conditions should avoid exposure to mold growth. There is no way to get rid of mold in the home, but there are actions you can take to prevent it.

Let us help you. Have a AirAdvice for Homes™ indoor air quality test done today in your home – it’s simple, easy, and is typically offered at low or no cost to you, the homeowner.

AirAdvice indoor air quality tips:

  • Keep all surfaces in your home clean, especially kitchens and bathrooms. Make sure the showers, bathtubs, and sinks (inside and underneath), are cleaned regularly.
  • Remove carpeting in basements and bathrooms, and remove any other moldy carpeting.
  • Install insulation with a good vapor barrier to prevent the buildup of condensation on or within walls.
  • Replace any water damaged items (carpet, flooring, walls) in the home right away.
  • Keep relative humidity between 30% and 50%.
  • Install proper filtration to remove excess airborne particles in the home.

To find an IAQ expert in your area, click on the Find an Expert button at the top of this page.  They can test your home’s air and if necessary recommend proper filtration and humidity control for your specific situation.