Mildew in the home is a thin, black (sometimes white) growth on surfaces caused by mold. Mold spores are always present in the air, but the spores that cause mildew growth need moisture and warmth to thrive. Because of this, mildew in the home is commonly found on shower curtains, damp clothes, in crawl spaces, basement draperies and rugs, and in cellars. Mildew can cause considerable damage, and gives off a musty odor.

Let us help you. Have a AirAdvice for Homes™ indoor air quality test done today in your home – it’s simple, easy, and is typically offered at low or no cost to you, the homeowner.

AirAdvice indoor air quality tips:

  • Any kind of mold can cause allergic reactions, asthma, and respiratory problems to sensitive individuals, so it is important to control the growth of mold and mildew in your home.
  • Use ventilation fans to the outside from the kitchen and bathrooms.
  • Vent clothes dryers to the outside.
  • Remove carpeting in basements and bathrooms, and remove any other moldy carpeting.
  • Keep your home clean, especially bathrooms and kitchens.
  • Keep relative humidity between 30% and 50%.
  • Install proper filtration to remove excess airborne particles in the home.

To find an IAQ expert in your area, click on the Find an Expert button at the top of this page.  They can test the air in your home and determine if your heating and cooling systems are sized and functioning properly to help prevent mildew.