Comfortable levels of humidity inside your home will make you and your family feel better and will protect the integrity of the structure of your house. But how do you know if you have a problem with humidity? You can start by looking at these telltale signs:
An odor may indicate that mold is growing in your home. According to the EPA, mold can be hidden on the back side of wallpaper or paneling, the top side of ceiling panels, the underside of carpeting, basically any where that moisture condensation can form.
Mold can be a real problem when it grows inside your home. There are many different types of mold but every one of them reproduces from spores that thrive on wet surfaces. You may notice blackish spots on walls, floors, or furniture. Mold destroys the things that it grows on.
- Allergic Reaction
Maybe you or someone in your family always has a runny nose, red eyes and constant sneezing, regardless of the season. Exposure to mold can irritate the nose, throat, eyes and lungs. Or course, you should always consult a medical practitioner but allergic reactions to mold are common.
Let us help you. Have a AirAdvice for Homes™ indoor air quality test done today in your home – it’s simple, easy, and is typically offered at low or no cost to you, the homeowner.
AirAdvice Indoor Air Quality Tips:
- Fix any water leaks in pipes, sinks, showers, or toilets, showers
- Make use of ventilation fans that are installed in your kitchen and bathrooms
- Vent your dryer to the outside. Air-dry wet clothes outside; never dry them inside the house
- Check air conditioning drip pans and make sure that they are clean and drain lines are clear
- In summer, use air conditioners or dehumidifiers to reduce humidity levels
- In winter, use humidifiers to increase humidity
Not all humidity problems are from too much moisture. Sometimes, the air is too dry.
- Irritated Nose and Throat.
Sometimes when your throat feels like sandpaper and your nose and sinuses hurt, this could be a clue that the air in your home is too dry for comfort. Maybe you just have a cold and getting medical advice is crucial but environmental conditions in the home could be contributing to your discomfort.
- Static Electricity
It seems like every time you walk across the room, the next thing you touch, you get a mild but annoying shock. This could be an indicator of low humidity in your home.
- Cold Air
Small leaks of air seem to be getting in every where in the house. When the level of humidity is too low, the air gets so dry that the wood around the doors and windows in your home literally can shrink and let in cold air.
To find an IAQ expert in your area, click on the Find an Expert button at the top of this page. They will be able to determine if the heating and cooling systems are properly sized and functioning at optimum levels.